Friday, November 16, 2007

The Element of Surprise

Do you like surprises? If not, why? If so, why?
I've never really figured out if I enjoy surprises or not. I think in terms of relationships, everything has always been implied. No surprises. No special event to ask me "Will you be my girlfriend?", a la Miss Lovebird.

Everything seems like it has always been assumed or directed. For instance, my first boyfriend mentioned in a statement one day, "I don't want my girlfriend to do xyz." I don't remember what xyz was. I just remember standing there and saying, "Am I your girlfriend now?" and getting a solid and steady "yeah" for an answer.

When I think of how FH confirmed we were getting married was when he told me I better call some hotels if I wanted to get married on 8.8.08. So I guess that was that.

I'm not really upset or bothered by the fact that this is how all my relationships have been. Maybe it's in part because of me. Perhaps I subconsciously attract men who are matter-of-fact or give off the vibe that I don't like surprises?

Given my history, it didn't surprise me when FH announced to me earlier this week, "We have an appointment with L (the jeweler) on Saturday." "OK", I answered. Thinking that I would go with him on the first appointment with L, talk cuts, carats, clarity, color, and the final "C" word, costs. I've just assumed I would be a part of negotiations and FH would want me there.

So - to my surprise, when I called FH yesterday to inquire the time of the appointment, so I could make other plans for the day, he blurted out, "OH - I was just going to go. Did you want to go to?" Shock. Surprise. Yes guys, FH got me. Not in a bad way. I don't mind not going. I think it's rather great that he goes on his own. I was just surprised. Something that seldom happens. And I still haven't decided if I like surprises or not. (BTW, when FH said "we", he meant himself and our friend P, who is introducing L)

What do you guys think? Do you/did you want to be entirely surprised when it comes to your e-ring?

No comments: